[music playing] I'm going to preheat my ovento 400, because I'm going to do my asparagus bundles in there.

Although you could do thiswhole meal on your outdoor grill no problem.

I'm going to use myslotted broiler pan that I never use for anything.

It's perfect for this.

I'm going to grab a coupleof bundles of asparagus.

I've got 1 pound and 1/2.

And some bacon, someapplewood bacon.

And I've got a littlebit of fresh thyme.

That's going to befor my burgers later.

I'm going to grabsome shallots, too.

I know I'm going to needthose for my burgers.

I'm so excitedabout this meal, I just don't know where to begin.

OK.

Well, I guess I'll beginwith the asparagus bundles.

I was trying to think of what todo with the burger that didn't involve a lot of starch,because everybody's eating, you know, the Atkins, and thelow carb, and the no carb, all that kind of thing.

So one of the good thingsabout many of those diets is that you get toeat a lot of bacon.

I think everything in reason.

Don't go nuts witha pound of bacon.

But a little bitadds a lot of flavor, and it's great on the grill.

So I'm going to wrap myasparagus in the bacon.

And I need to knowwhere to take the tip of the asparagus, where it'sgoing to be nice and tender.

So I just hold it on both endsand give it a little snap.

I'll show you a couple here.

And then you just usethat as a guideline.

Now you could savethis part for soup.

No problem there.

It's a good idea.

Asparagus makes alovely, simple soup.

Especially with all thosegreat store bought stocks you can use out there.

Soup is just so quick andeasy to make any night.

I rinsed theseoff when I brought them home from the store.

That's always a bigtime saver, right? Now let's just give them a snap.

Cool.

Now if you can only findreally big stalks of asparagus that day, no problem.

Just take a vegetablepeeler to the ends and trim them down a littleand they'll be perfect.

And here you're justtrying to pick up a method.

This is just anidea for the method.

You can wrap bundles of waxedbeans, green beans, strips of zucchini, green onions.

You can mix and matchall those vegetables.

But you want about this size.

About 4 inches towork with here.

I'm going to drizzlethese with a little EVOO, extra virgin olive oil.

It's good to go.

A little salt and pepper.

And why dirt a bowl? Just work right on the pan.

And I'm going to geta quick count here.

There's 5, 10, 15, 20.

Yeah.

I think I've got about35, 40 spears here.

So I'm going todivide by 4 roughly, and just grab handfuls.

That looks about right--of about 8 to 10 pieces.

Well, it would be good ifI opened my bacon first.

Hello.

Now, I like a nicecenter cut bacon or an applewood smoked bacon,because they come so nice and lean now.

Look at that.

It's gorgeous.

Absolutely beautiful bacon.

Slab bacon is fine.

Turkey bacon is fineif you don't do pork.

How simple is this.

And any time I seesomething all wrapped in bacon like this, it justlooks so formal and pretty, doesn't it? And there's nothing going on.

Look how simple that is.

And you could do smallerversions of this.

Little half pieces of baconand just a couple pieces of asparagus.

It'd be perfect fora little party snack.

And you know, you're going tofind that if you do go ahead and roast the asparagus,or even if you grill it outside with the lid down, it'sgoing to get this nice almost nutty flavor to it.

It's a totallydifferent experience from steamed asparagus.

That's one of the neatthings about cooking.

You play around withthe methods as much as you do with theseasonings, and you'll find a whole new taste experiences.

Look how great that worked out.

Oh, I just love it when aplan comes together like that.

OK, let's get theseguys in the oven.

They'll go about 12minutes or until the bacon gets nice and crisp.

And of course, the fatwill go right down through the slotted pan and drip away.

Oh, I can't wait to eat those.

That's so up my alley.

A little squirt of soap.

There we go.

OK, let's get theselittle guys into the oven.

They don't need alot of muss and fuss.

That's another greatthing about this meal.

It kind of takes care ofitself, it babysits itself.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Kitchen © 2013. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger Shared by Themes24x7
Top