Welcome to HowToCookThat I'm Ann Reardon andthis is Dave and today we're doing Clever or Never, where we test a bunch of gadgetsto see *bang* if they're any good.

And you can vote in the comments as to whetherthey are clever or never.

So today I have got 3 gadgets, Dave you have3 gadgets.

your first gadget is.

A Fixie pizza cutter! A bicycle.

Okay it's getting thumbs up for cute so far,let's see if it actually works.

Yep, thumbs up for cute.

Here we go, do you use both wheels or justone? I image you use both.

It's not turning! It is.

It's just pushing its way through the pizza.

No, it's very very good.

I like it.

It seriously didn't turn.

No it did.

Watch this.

Ok, but then it stopped turning.

It started turning, then it stopped turning.

No, it's awesome.

That is great, that is Tour de France sortof stuff.

But it did cut the pizza.

I think this gadget is wheely good (dad jokes😂) Vote is Clever or Never in the comments andlet us know.

Ultimate.

Gadget Number 2 is a microwave s'mores maker.

Do you remember when we were in the US andwe went to Preston's house for dinner and his wife couldn't believe that we have neverhad s'mores before so she said that's it, after dinner we are going to have s'mores.

And then the kids were all playing bouncingon the trampoline in the backyard and do you remember what happened next? Someone broke their arm! Her son ran inside and said Mom I think I'vebroken my arm.

As a mum you hear that sort of thing all thetime so she did what all mums do and said: "I'm sure it's fine, I'll give you some ice.

" And he goes: "But Mom when I go like this!" *horror movie*And there's this big bit sticking up where his bone was completely broken through underneath,so Plan B was hospital not s'mores! So to this day we have still never had s'mores! It's true.

The instructions on this weird gadget sayto open this up and pour in some cold water.

So I'm not quite sure what the purpose ofthe cold water is.

Then you have to put a cracker here.

On top of your cracker, a piece of chocolate.

Okay.

You need to do your side.

Then a marshmallow.

Pink? Anything it's your side.

Then another cracker.

And then you put the little hands on top tohold it in place so that it doesn't fall off.

Give it a little squash down.

Now it says to microwave that for 30 seconds.

Okay.

Here we go.

It worked really well, I think to do a truetest though we need to compare what happens if we just put it on a plate in the microwave.

If we get to eat another one, that's a goodidea.

Cracker, chocolate, marshmallow, cracker.

Amazing.

30 seconds in the microwave.

I'll be back.

*snap*Ummm.

yep.

It doesn't quite look as good.

No it really doesn't.

It kinda fell off the top as the marshmallowblew up but even I put it back on top, there's still marshmallow everywhere.

And the cracker is really soggy underneath.

They've got this gadget worked out! That's a good gadget.

It's cute too.

Thumbs up from me, let me know in the commentsClever or Never.

Gadget Number 3 is a pineapple corer and spiralizer! And what I have is I've actually got one madeout of steel here, a little bit more expensive, and I've got this one here that's a bit ofa cheaper option made out of plastic.

We might even have a bit of a race and we'llcompare the 2.

Ready? No.

what do we even do? It's your gadget! It's like a salt and pepper shaker.

I'm assuming that we push it and turn it withthe handle.

Are you ready? On your marks, get set, go! Oh gosh, I don't think I can even get it in.

Oh I'm gonna break this again.

I'm off! I can't get it in.

Oh I could lose a finger here! No, this is awesome.

I'm getting splashed with pineapple juice.

That's right we're racing aren't we, I'm goingheaps fast.

I've never won a race against you in the kitchen.

I think mine is going to break, I'm goingto hold it.

I'm not winning, as in it's not working.

Oh dear! Mine just came off.

The gadget is still there but the pineapplebit didn't work.

Ok let me try again.

Mine is looking fantastic.

Yours is all the way in and mine is not evenstarted.

I don't know, I reckon I'm through.

You have to pull it back out don't you? Watch this, watch this.

Woooooow! Oh that's beautiful, oh my goodness how doyou get it off? Do you just take the handle bit off.

No it's like a kebab, you just eat it.

That is awesome and look at that, if you hadn'tgone all the way through to the bottom you could use that and fill it with fruit salador something like that.

That is actually a great idea, I think I'mgoing to do that.

Look at this, it's a pineapple spiral.

I'm impressed because normally if you cutall of the outside off and then you cut all the eyes out it takes ages to cut up a pineapple.

Pineapple accordian.

That's very cool.

You try mine, you might just have 'the knack'.

Yours seems to be making crushed pineapple.

That's definitely mashing it, not spiralizingit.

Not good.

If you look at that, it's not a proper sawblade.

That's a zig zag, it's always going to mashit.

Whereas this one is actually on the rightangle to cut the pineapple.

I think it's going to pour our the bottom.

Okay.

Nope.

Awesome.

Look at that, oh my goodness! So for all your summer needs, all you needis a pineapple, a corer, an orange and a little umbrella.

Delightful *eye poking sounds*And possibly a straw too.

Gadget Number 4 is a battle of the Cake Levellers.

There's a whole array of gadgets you can useto level your cake, so starting with ones that are like 99c through to ones that arelike $25.

So there's a big discrepancy in price there.

These ones are a pretty nifty idea.

They attachonto the knife blade, put this one on the same level.

You put this down flat on the bench so thateach side is flat, and then you cut through the cake like this and you get a nice, evenlayer.

Look at that, a perfect level nice layer ofcake.

Can you think of an obvious way that thismight not work, what's a disadvantage of this one? If you don't have cake? What's the other thing that you may not havethat would make this not work? A wife who knows how to do it? Can you not think of the other thing thatyou might need? *crickets*No.

A knife? A knife that is super long, so the knife bladehas to be longer than the width of your cake in order for this to work.

If you have a super long knife, you can justpay the cheap amount and get that and it actually does work very well to give you nice, evenlayers of cake.

The second cake leveller is this one.

This one is essentially very similar to this,except this one has a serated knife blade and this just has 2 wires.

The wires are bending but it is going through,even though they are bending and struggling.

Let's have a look.

We have 1, 2, 3 layers.

The third cake cutter is this weird lookingthing.

So basically you're supposed make it biggeror smaller.

I like this one, it's very aesthetically pleasing.

And then you choose your layer level, let'schoose this one.

And cut but then you get to here and you can'tcut anymore because we are stuck.

Open it up, turn it around the other side,close it again.

Remember which groove you were in.

Try again.

It's a bit uneven.

It's thinner there and thicker there.

I am sorry but not this one.

Do you reckon you could level using the bigone? It looks a little bit dangerous almost.

If somebody came down a dark alley with thatyou'd probably run.

Now let's look at these other layers, we'vegot 1, it's looking pretty good, 2.

That's good.

That one worked really well.

If you're an everyday bro (*groan) cake makerthen maybe this one.

You've also got to consider where you're goingto store that.

And if you're the occasional baker and you'vegot a long knife then that one.

Gadget Number 5 is your gadget, I don't knowwhat it is but you asked for something that had to be stirred when it was cooking so I'vejust got in here some milk, custard powder and sugar because you have to stir custardcontinually or it will go lumpy.

so what's your gadget? My gadget is a stirrer! Because a spoon is just too much hard work.

This is a stirrer.

Yeah, no but look at this, it's like 2017.

Let's see if we end up with lumpy custardor smooth custard.

Oh look it is moving now that it's in theliquid.

And now it's stopped.

It's not doing anything.

Let me just give it a help, maybe it needsto get started, I'll give it a bit of a stir and then let go.

So maybe it's like an automatic stirrer thatyou have to do manually? This is awful, this is the worst gadget we'veever tested.

Look it's completely caught on the bottomand look at all those lumps.

Awww that is delicious! Who likes lumpy custard right? It did the worst job ever.

This is a Never.

I'm declaring it, don'tcare what you write in the comments, this one is a Never.

Unless you like lumpy custard! Gadget Number 6 is a Cupcake Maker for makinga single cake in the microwave.

I actually thought, when I got this, thatthere's no way this would be better than just using a plain cup but the s'mores maker provedthat it was actually very good, so this could be amazing.

Then pour the rest into the cup and we willsee which one bakes.

Now it says, it's got very varying bakingtimes.

It says if your microwave is 700 Watts then3 minutes, if it's 1000 Watts, 1 minute.

So we'll go for 1 minute and see how we go.

Shall we start with this one, it has a lid.

Aha look at that.

Do you think it will be the shape? Oh, out the top.

Oh my goodness, look at that, it's squirting.

It's still got 10 seconds to go.

Woah! *Bang*Ohhhh, it was looking so promising, oh no, what a mess! All was looking good until the final seconds.

Let's try this one for 1 minute.

It's looking OK.

Hmmm, it's a bit eggy.

I think it needs cocoa powder in there, Idon't think it's the best recipe or the best gadget.

So this is take number 2 on the cupcake maker,this time I let it cook and I let the cake come all the way to the top and then I quicklyturned it off so it didn't explode.

So let's have a look inside.

Ugh, interesting looking.

Is it pudding or cake? It's supposed to be cake.

Shall I tip it out.

Oh it's not cooked, look it's still uncookedon the bottom.

So you've either got to have uncooked or exploded.

I think the cup is the safer bet because itdoesn't explode all over the microwave and it tastes pretty much the same.

I think for entertainment value, explodingall over the microwave was much more fun.

Clever if you're wanting to surprise the kidswith an exploding cupcake, other than that Never.

Let us know if there's any other gadgets thatyou'd like us to test out and review for you, put them in the comments below, Make it aGreat Week and we'll see you on Friday.

Bye.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Kitchen © 2013. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger Shared by Themes24x7
Top