Tap the bell icon to never miss out On unique stories from 101India It's been a while since the Portuguese leftGoa Since their departure, Portuguese cuisineseems to have faded into the mist But through this haze, I found a place thatcan reignite The authentic, true to its roots, Portuguesefood For that, I've come to Margao to discoverwhere the Portuguese cuisine is strapped in time Nostalgia is the place where the Indo-Portuguese culture Has found its true home Not just the architecture, the culture seemsto have permeated here Artistically arranged in an extended 'Balcao' orbalcony Traditional cookware, authentic musical instruments And boric carvings, set the mood for a unique,timely experience Expressed by its mouth-watering menu One Cabidela and one Pork Sorpotel That's it? Yeah, 2 sannas will come with it right? Yes Yeah? Perfect Wow So if I'm going to try some traditionalGoan food I think I finally have found the place The flavours that are coming in Especially from the Cabidela, is amazing It's not something that I've had before It's one of the first few places that servesthe pork with the skin on And I love it I love the fat It's stunning It's soft and it melts in your mouth This is the place where I need to learn Goan cuisine Mrs.

Margarida, I need to speak to her I'd really like to Mrs.

Margarida and her late husband, Chef Fernando Are the ones who created Nostalgia Hello Good evening Hi, Good evening Nice to meet you Nice to meet you I've been travelling around Goa I'm trying to find what Goan cuisine is I've ordered two dishes and I've fallenin love with them I really wanted to know where it came fromand who the person in charge was It's a pleasure to receive you And this coming from a chef We should be honoured My team should be honoured I'm running the restaurant now But the vision was of my late husband, who is no more I'm so sorry to hear that I must say, without the staff which I have, Nostalgia wouldn't be where it is today I have just one final question to ask you Would it be possible for me to come learnthe Goan cuisine, here at Nostalgia? I really don't authorise this But you seem like a good boy I can take you on tomorrow Provided that you are on time Definitely, I promise you I will be Thank you so much Margarida, may I hug you? Grabbing the opportunity with both hands I got her to share her secret recipe with her staff of 30 years I can hardly wait for tomorrow Hello Mrs.

Margarida Welcome Chef Karan Thank you so much! Mrs.

Margarida introduced me to her excellent kitchen staff Chef Rama, Chef Sura and Chef Sanvesh Who seemed like family to her Are you ready to join them? Of course I'm, I want to jump in Having learned everything from scratch Under the late chef Fernando Today, they carry his legacy And I can't wait to soak in some of it asI learn to make, Rassois Effectively, a deep fried creamy Ravioli Onions, chopped prawns and salt Is it okay if I hop in and start doing itwith him? Yes, you can Maggi powder Maggi powder? Maggi seasoning? For 20 minutes, you’ve got to let them sit on a low flame And let them sweat Stirred into a nice mixture with a little coriander A little fresh cream And some refined wheat flour to bind it You push the flour down to cook the raw flour taste out of here Because no one wants to taste raw flour, it's horrible It's chalky oh my god, it drives me crazy The filling is done Now we get on To make The dough itself What do you add in this? You add some water, salt, two spoons of butterand about three spoons of flour Mixed on a medium flame for about 2 minutes You just have to knead the dough a little bit Touch your hands with some flour Once the dough is ready, use a rolling pin To roll out a neat, even, flat surface In one stroke That's amazing I never got it right Look at that, he rolled it out so quickly Just bang, bang, bang! Done? Wow Next step would be To cut them? Yeah Add the filling to an evenly flattened base And create individual pockets Dip these pockets into whipped eggs And immediately follow by dunking them in semolina It's ready to fry! Fry in oil And voila! Your Rissois are ready! Now that we've fried the Rossois Let's go ahead and taste them Chef? Beautiful green Hmm? It's good! It's really soft and creamy You don't taste the flour, because the flour Has already been cooked off It's really interesting to see That really nice hint of coriander inside Which is good I never realised that you could use corianderand shrimp together The Rissois got my juices flowing We spent the rest of the day, cooking up a storm From making fluffy sannas To preparing a perfectly roasted suckling From calamari to Bolo Sansrival We had a ball! But the piece de resistance Was Mrs.

Margarida's Capsicum Zena Hello Karan Hello Margarida You were doing so well, that I didn't haveto be here So now I've come back Thank you! I want you here, because this is why I'm here This is a vegetarian dish that nobody else In Goa does And there is a story behind it It was when my mother in law just got marriedinto this village So one fine day, my father in law returnshome Late in the night with a basket of capsicums And at that time, this home didn't havea fridge So she calls a cousin of hers and says "I don't know what to do, and I don't want to show my ignorance Can you help me?" She said "Don't worry, I'll give youthis recipe which is as good as a pickle It stays longer And you don't need a fridge" So that is how this dish was created And Fernando loved it so much That he named the dish Capsicum Zena After his mother Lovely! But after he passed away, it became difficult for me Because everybody wanted the story behind Capsicum Zena So now I changed it to Capsicum Chef-style When you learn this dish If you prepare it anywhere I want you to remember this story behind thedish and remember us and Nostalgia I will never forget you all You are the first people who invited me into Your restaurant and treated me like family And I promise you, that you will not be disappointed And that's my one promise, definitely! Thank you and good luck! Sura? After that beautiful story I have to tell You guys how to make this delectable relish Stir finally chopped onions, in oil on a medium flame You cook them down really slowly Masala? Meanwhile, prepare the masala paste Red chillies, tamarind, coconut, urad daal,methi and mustard seeds With a smattering of fresh curry leaves andsome sugar and salt Add this to the sweated onions and once thisis well blended Add the chopped capsicum A sprinkle or coriander, and we're done Done This is enough? Yes Very good, now it's time to taste Capsicum Chef's Style That coconut on the top is just perfect You don't taste the curry leaves The capsicum isn't soft It's still crunchy It still has a bit to it Which is important while cooking vegetables You don't want them soggy If I had to have this everyday, I'd go bananas This is something I'm definitely going to feed this to mychildren once I grow up It was that magic night time again And the traditional Fado song took our breath away As we plated all that we had made during the day For Mrs.

Margarida and her guests I hope my food will do the trick like the song Karan, you must meet Sonia Hi Sonia All well? Very well, thank you very much I must say, your voice is fantastic! Thank you! Melted my heart Thank you, I'm glad! This is Fado Fado is a semi-classical form of Portuguese music Oh wow That's been in Goa for a very long time It's a part of the heritage of Portugal And therefore, it has become a part of Goaas well I'm sure you enjoyed Nostalgia with Margarida Oh my god! He is amazing! Did he learn anything? He did a very good job Tonight we're going to savior all of that He has done with my staff So is this what you've made? Yes! This is exactly what we made Whatever we tried today is on the table Bon appetite Finally, Bon appetite For the first time, excellent! Really? Thank you so much! Thank you Wow, look at this Oh my goodness, my favourite bit of the day I've been to tons of restaurants I've learnt a lot, let's not lie But no one treated me like a part of them I was there stagiaire or I was their intern,that's it! This, I felt a part of you guys, it's amazing I really want to say thank you! You made my Goa experienceYou really did I've learned and I've evolved I've become a better human being What you've done is that you've passeddown that legacy And I promise to continue that legacy Thank you! I do, I definitely will! My time in Nostalgia wasn't just a gastronomical discovery But an introduction to what Goan-Portuguese Hospitality is all about Here, you're not a patron, but a part of Margarida's family Fortunately, I'll always have a part of Nostalgia wherever I go! I liked it, thank you so much!.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Kitchen © 2013. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger Shared by Themes24x7
Top