- Hello, everyone.

- Hello.

- Welcome to My Virgin Kitchen.

It's another Sunday fun day video, hacks.

- Yes, this is weird.

I feel like we haven't donethis for ages, for months.

- Remember that song? Return of the Mack.

Return of the hack.

Do I go now? Yeah.

- Yeah, that's quite good.

So what we do best.

- Yeah.

(laughter) So the first one, we thought we'd revisitthe last hacks video, where there was the hack ofspreading corn with butter.

- Oh gosh, that did not work.

That was a nightmare.

- I don't think I found animmediate solution to it.

I think there's a specific type of corn that I need to find online, right? - Yeah.

- And we want you guys to leave us a link down below if you find it, and then we'll get itfor the next hacks video.

But we did find these things, which kind of dive into the gadget videos.

They're called like, Pop-a-Cob? - Pop-a-- - This kind of feels likePop-a-(makes fart sound).

- These look like corncobs, which they are, but this one's black, and-- (knocking) - Oh, someone's at our door.

Oh, I just kept our door locked because it was so warm in there.

- Oh, yeah.

(covered by crosstalk) Oh, sorry.

- I realised that we turnedthe power of for the builder.

- Whoops.

- We got some temporarypower set up at the moment, but anyhow you probably hearthat he's back in the zone.

So these are like dried corn cobs, but I've got a feeling theyactually do fire off the cob when we put them in the microwave.

- Ah, cool.

- So they're just gonna go bong.

So it's not quit thehack we wanted to get, was where it's like a flower of-- - Oh, you don't think this is gonna, you think it's all gonna come off? - Yeah.

- Okay.

- Well, let's find out.

- Yes, give it a go.

Just reading the instructions.

It says you gotta putcorn in the microwave bag.

- (Man) Yeah.

- Oh, hang on.

It's in a bag.

A bag in a bag.

Oh it's like purpley black.

I wonder if we're gonna get black popcorn.

- So it's in a bag.

- Gotta tie it up.

- Oh, very professional, got it zip-tied.

Look, it's like you've been given a really rubbish Christmas present.

- Fingers crossed.

- [Man] It's doing weird,jumping around in there.

- Even gives you little demonstration of what it should look like.

- [Man] Hmm.

(popping) - [Man] Oh my-- - [Woman] Oh my gosh.

(laughter) Oh here you go.

- [Man] Oh it's going for it now.

Yes, oh it's coming off the cob.

Yeah it is.

And it's not black.

Oh my God.

- [Woman] Oh my gosh.

(laughter) That really scared me.

It's as though I can just imagine the microwave go boom.

- Oh my gosh.

That is the whitestpopcorn I've ever seen.

That's so white, it's like Snow White.

- Don't burn yourself.

Do you want some tongs? - Ah, oh no.

Ah, ooh.

I think we just made thethumbnail as well there.

That is basically what we're trying to make out of that hack, but we're just using that as an example, but it's the whitest popcorn.

- And a bit burnt.

Ow, bit of a kernel.

- Let's move on.

- Next up, I found a hack that says you can turn cake box mix, which we never use.

I make all my cakes from scratch, right? - Yes, I suppose it's moreor less your birthday cake.

Oh, I really like this sponge, Becky.

I like what you did with it.

- I found out that you canactually make cookie dough by just adding oil and egg,so we're gonna give this a go.

- So what would you normally add to make a cake that is different.

- Eggs and water and oil.

- So you're just taking the water out? - And one less egg.

- Oh, okay.

So this is going to makecookies rather than cake.

- Yeah.

- So cakies.

- Ah.

- So we grab a bowl.

- Cake mix goes in.

- Now what? Oh, eggs.

Now just to let you know, we do have a very rottenegg in this kitchen for a hack coming up in just a minute.

This is not one.

- No, these are fresh.

Tooo.

- 120 mls of oil, accompanied by thelovely sound of grinding.

♫ My mind's telling me no - And now, I guess we just mix.

- Mixy mix.

To be fair, if this does work, we can actually have cake cookies, which is gonna be incredible, and they only take 10minutes to bake apparently.

- Ah, there we go.

Mr.

Muscle.

- Oh my God, do you mind if I just park these guns over here.

(beeping) Oven's preheated? - I'm ready.

Look at that.

That looks like cookie dough.

- It does, to be fair.

But it smells like cake.

Looks like cookie dough, smells like cake.

I want that on a T-shirt.

- That would be cool.

- Would it? - You'd look-- - You'd just look like an idiot.

(laughter) Okay, it's very, it holds its shape well.

It looks like Play-Doh.

- It looks like the little emoji poos.

Happy? - I'm happy.

- Right, we've got a few different shapes and sizes on there.

You see that? It goes in the oven for how long? - About eight to 10 minutes.

- Eight to 10 minutes.

- Let's go.

- So, cake cookies hopefully coming up.

So while that is in the oven, we've got about 10 minutes as we said, so let's go to the egg-cellent (laughter) hack.

This is basically a wayof telling if an egg is-- - Is fresh.

- Fresh, which to be honest, we don't do that very well.

We've actually legitimately had an egg in our fridge with a date of November.

- And d'you know what, this egg-- - It's practically a chicken.

- It was left in the fridge because we were gonna use it on the last hack video that we did, so that was a very long time ago, and left it in there.

- Yeah, it's got a beak and everything.

- On purpose.

Two egg hacks in one go coming up.

These bowls we'll cometo in just a moment, but there's a pan there, Mrs.

B.

- Yes, there is.

So we're gonna put it on to boil with half a teaspoonof bicarbonate of soda, and apparently if you boilin an egg in that water, it's meant to make peelingthe shell really easy.

- What, you just go (blows) and it blows off? - Kind of.

- Okay.

- We're gonna try that.

- Let's find out.

- Gonna get the bicarbonate of soda.

Here it goes.

- Half a teaspoon.

- Half a teaspoon.

- Okay.

- Into there, and I'm gonna.

Oh, wrong.

(laughter) - I'm gonna put the wrong hob on.

- Put the wrong hob on.

- So there we go.

- Okay, so we'll justlet that do its thing, and we'll come back to that.

- And we should actuallyput the egg in now.

- Okay.

So do you wanna grab another fresh egg? - I thought you said fresh air then.

- Go grab some fresh air.

- Here's some fresh air.

(inhales loudly) - Go on, off you go, shoo.

Should we try it with two? - Yes.

- Or one? In they go.

- All right, so that's gonna boil away, and then we're gonnado this other hack now with two bowls of water.

We have two bowls ofjust cold water, right? - Yes, sorry.

- We have one egg.

- One fresh egg.

- 27th of March, 2017.

29th of November, possibly 2015.

So how does this work? - So you put them in, and if it sinks, then it's fresh, and if it floats to the top,you need to get rid of it.

- Right, so basically what you're saying, if yours floats to the topbecause it's the old one-- - Yup.

- Then this hack works.

You have a rotten egg there.

And this one should sink, right? - Yeah, so that's the good one.

Ready? - Okay.

(both gasp) But why is that? Is it because it is actually an animal in there with arm-bands, a chicken in there going(underwater sound)? - Look, that one's-- - It's right to the bottom.

- And it's gone on it's side, and this one has gone like-- - Yeah, it's bobbin'.

It's like treading water.

It's like doing doggypaddle, like chicken paddle.

- We need to get rid of that egg.

- We do.

I kind of want to, no, I'mscared to crack it open, because it'd just be abig feather in there.

(laughter) - That is cool.

You never know if you buyfresh eggs without a stamp on.

- Just go in the super market now with a big bowl of water dunking them in.

"Are you gonna buy those, sir?" Oh yeah, just-- - I'm just checking if all six of this packet arefresh before I buy them.

- You end up dumping thewhole thing in like-- (gasps) Sorry.

- I can't believe you just did that.

- For show.

Not for sho', for show.

- [Woman] I'm just gonnagive this a bit of a mix, because it's just satin one place in the pan.

So we want it to go all in the water.

- [Man] What? - I just checked the cookies.

They're massive.

You were right about the whole cake thing.

- [Man] So we're gonna be fed well.

- Yes.

- [Man] Do they look like cookies? - Yes.

- Let's find out.

Do we want the egg hard-boiled? - [Woman] Yes, we do.

- We need the eggs hard-boiled, so we're gonna chuck in this little gadget that worked a charm ona previous gadget video, and you can hear-- - The cookies are done.

- Oh, it's cookie time.

- Put it in.

- Whoo.

Oh no, they're done.

- [Woman] Check these out.

- [Man] Wow, that's amazing.

- Oh my gosh, look atthat massive (laughter).

- [Man] I hope you're hungry.

I reckon they have tocool right down though.

- Yeah, I think they were.

They need to firm up a bit.

- [Man] They got that realnice crispy top though that you look for in a cookie.

- Ah, they smell amazing.

- For this next hack, you'll see the cookies are cooling down, and the egg is still cooking.

- I feel like we're really multi-tasking.

- We are, we're like octopuses.

Octopi.

(laughter) We are gonna do a hack where apparently, honey, trying to get it offa spoon can be quite tricky.

- Quite sticky.

- Mm, so apparently ifwe use butter spray, it just falls off nice.

Also, I heard a warm spoon as well.

Dip it in warm water helps.

- Let's do one without first, yeah? - Yeah.

- We'll show you what happens.

(mumbles) - Got my tablespoon of honey.

- Yeah.

One, two.

That's pretty good.

Did you buy runny honey? - Oh, I did buy runny honey.

(laughter) - Actually, no, I have someproper honey in cupboard.

- Okay, this hack might helpif you use actual honey, not runny honey, whichis designed to be runny.

New spoon, new jar of honey.

Different set of bees.

Okay, try that again.

- I do do some silly things.

- Okay, honey on a spoon.

- This is still quite runny.

- Yeah? Oh, I think this hackmight be a bit pointless.

- Ah, do you know what itmight work better with? Golden syrup.

- Oh.

- That gets sticky.

- So we're just makingup our own hack now.

- No, look, because you'vestill got some on the spoon.

- Yeah, okay.

- So let's try it, and seeif that doesn't happen.

- Lubricated the spoon and the bowl.

There we go.

- Hold it flat for me.

- This feels comfortable.

Okay- Right.

- Here we go.

Oh wow.

- See.

- That does actually work.

- That came off really quick.

- That did.

- Maybe, maybe-- - Maybe too fast.

- Yeah.

So maybe if you're usingit for cake or something.

- Like a drizzle ontop, that would be good.

- Yeah, not so much butter though.

But it works.

- Should we try it with golden syrup? - Yes.

- Just turning the heat down.

We don't wanna have an eggs-plosion.

- [Woman] Got some.

- Yeah, look how stickythis is to come out.

- Okay.

- Wait, one.

- So let's tip that.

- Oh, that's sticky.

- Okay, here we go.

Yay, that kinda works too.

I mean if you're in a hurry.

- Check the spoons, look how much is left.

I think there's more on thisone then there is that one.

- I mean it does work,make your own mind up.

Orange hacks.

Someone actually askedfor this on Instagram.

- They did.

They said, what, do they notknow how to peel an orange? - No, they said their friend could really do with a orange hack.

- Oh, okay.

- BB Nash says that@z4mo, whoever that is.

Let's have a look, Sam.

Sam wants to know if he can test, he, me, a hack to helphim peel his oranges.

He struggles.

So here we go.

We've got two here, Mrs.

Barry, right? - We have.

We've got a big one and a little-- - Clementine.

- Satsuma.

- "Clementine" is a really bad song by the guy from Take That, wasn't it? ♫ Clementine, ay ay This one? - Yes, so this one.

So what we're gonna do, grab a little knife.

- Get a knife.

- Get a knife.

- And I put the orange down.

- And you're just gonna cut it in half.

No.

- Why the? (laughter) Let's go with the hack.

- So we're just gonna carefully run your knife around there and just score it.

That's the right word, isn't it? - Yeah, score it.

- Score the skin so.

- So we're making an incisionall the way around the orange.

Okay, but now what happens? - And now-- - The suspension is, the suspension? The suspension is killing me.

- Apparently you're justmeant to go like this.

I think I cut it too deep.

I think I've cut it too deep.

- Oh, what are you supposed to do? - Not this.

- Oh no.

- The skin was meant to just come off.

That's not right.

Yeah, I definitely cut it too deep.

- What, and then you just twist it? - And then apparently you're meant to just be able to peel it off? Oh no.

- Don't like that hack.

- No.

- We'll come back to that.

Any tips on that one, let us know.

I literally lightly scored it, and that's great.

- So this one might.

You're meant to just takethe top off of the orange.

So the round little bit.

You can peel it or cut it.

- Which is the stage younormally would do anyway and then you just unsheathit, and it's fine.

- And then you undo the bottom as well.

So I'm just gonna-- - It feels like an operation.

- So be quite rough with it.

You just need to exposethe top and the bottom.

- Yes.

So there we go, like so.

Then, you're just gonna break it in half.

(laughter) - [Man] It's a citrus explosion in my eye.

- I'm so sorry, are you all right? - It's fine.

It's all in the name of hacks.

I'm just a bit squinty.

- So there, pull it in half and you've got your orange cut in half.

- Oh wow, it's like a bulletbelt of orange segments.

- See, and you can just-- - Yeah, you've got to unravelit all the way, right? - Yeah, so you just pullit all the way down.

Take that out, I hate that bit of oranges.

And yeah, it's all like that, look.

I'm not sure how this is gonna help.

- That's quite nice, becauseyou set up a nice platter.

You've got a nice row of oranges.

- Like you wanna share of an orange.

If you've got children,and they wanna share.

Okay, so that works, and the other one needs a bit of work.

- Yeah, I think we need tolook into that a bit more.

- Let's do our finale now by seeing if we manage to peel an egg with bicarb of soda boiling, and try one of these cake cookies.

The egg timer says it's done.

We just got a little bowlof cold water to sit it in.

It's gonna sooth it.

But I don't know if you can see, it's kinda got a dustylight coating to it.

I don't know if that's where the bicarb of soda's clung to it.

Has it doubled in size? Jurassic park.

- Oh yeah, I see what you mean there.

- They look like I shouldbe wearing my khaki shorts.

(hums "Jurassic Park" theme) Ain't coming off any easier.

- Meant to just slide off.

It feels different to when you normally peel an egg off though.

- Just feels more powdery to me.

They don't feel like.

I mean look, it's all comingoff in bits like that.

It's not it made any easier to me.

This is about trying todo the blowy egg thing where you make a smallerhole, then a big one.

- Maybe that's not big enough.

(blows loudly) - Almost.

Yay.

- Oh my gosh.

- All right, my turn.

- Look, that's amazing.

I feel like I've gotegg shell in my mouth.

(blows loudly) - You've gotta really giveit a good blow, Mrs.

Blarry.

(blows hard) (laughter) - Wow, I think I justinhaled some eggshell.

It came out.

- What was that, crying for help? Weaow.

I don't know if it madethe eggs easier to peel, but definitely blowingthem made that more fun.

It's time to taste-test thesecookies and finish the video.

Should we bring them over? Pass me one please.

They have cooled down, but-- - Catch.

- Nice, cookie Frisbie.

They've cooled down.

It's still a teeny bit warm, which is that best thing with a cookie.

It's soft.

- They are very soft.

- So chocolatey.

- Yeah, smells like cake.

Oh wow.

- That is good.

- But it's really strange, because you think you're eating a cookie, but it tastes just like cake.

- It wants to be a cake still I think.

It's kinda like, "I was gonna be so big "and you were gonna put icing on me," and so it works, it's nice.

If you're in an emergency and you wanna make somecookies in a quick-- - Yeah, I think it's a good idea.

- I think you can get packagemix for cookies anyway, right? But it works.

- Yeah, it's not your normal cookie dough.

So there we go, folks.

They taste really, really good.

I hope you've enjoyed the video.

Don't forget to send us some useful links or information, suggestions, tips on any of the ones we'vedone today down below.

We'll check them out.

Don't forget to subscribe forregular recipes and food fun.

And don't forget to follow our vlog on the Barry's Behind the Scenes.

- Oh yeah, that's quite good.

You physically follow our lives.

- Physically? - Almost.

- Kind of.

- It's got close.

See ya guys.

- Bye.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Kitchen © 2013. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger Shared by Themes24x7
Top