(Male announcer) Tonight on<i>Kitchen Nightmares.

</i> Gordon travelsto a sunny California eatery.

(Man)Opa! (Announcer) Where there may bejoyous Greek dancing, but there's a dark cloud hangingover the restaurant.

Wow, there's a lotof conflict here.

I can feel it.

(Announcer) Father andson are being torn apart by a mysterious secretthat threatens the business.

They never discussed it, nevertalked about it, but it hurt.

(Announcer) The fatheris tired and overworked.

- Are you burnt out?- No, not at all.

He might not admit it but he is.

(Announcer) And hisstandards have gone to rot.

Just smell that,just smell inside that.

It smells.

It's good.

It's good? You're sick.

(Announcer) The son ishungering to step in and help.

I know I can make it betterthan ever.

(Announcer) But his dadrefuses to give him a shot.

Everything all rightback here? Get out.

(Announcer) It's a stalemate thathas the entire business suffering.

A taste of Greece.

Yeah, it tasted greasy.

(Announcer)The kitchen has no leader.

Do you not tell them anything? Do you not say anythingto the chefs? What do you want me to say? (Announcer)The food has no flavor.

Tabbouleh is very bland.

(Announcer) And the dinershave nothing but complaints.

They didn't like it? Worst they ever had.

(Announcer)Can Gordon uncover the truth? Something's happened,and you better tell me what.

I don't have to say nothing.

(Announcer)Or will the secret stay buried? - Talk to me, Mike.

- I don't know what happened.

(Announcer) And along withit, any chance for success.

It's my big fatGreek nightmare.

[Aggressive surf music] What is that? Disgusting crap.

- You're done!- I'm done? I'm not in denial.

Yes, you are.

[Coughs]Shut the place down! Get out of here! (Man)That is amazing! I can't take anymore! I just can't thank you enough.

Sync and corrected by dr.

Jacksonfor www.

Addic7ed.

Com (Announcer) The Ventura Harborin Southern California.

An oceanfront playgroundthat attracts throngs of tourists and locals.

It's this ideal location that drew Makis Mikelatosand his wife Lynn to open a Greek restaurantjust steps from the water.

Hello.

Welcome to the Greek.

(Lynn)From day one when we opened the restaurant in 1994, it was a success.

Oh, my gosh, really good.

We did great.

It was always busy.

Whoopa! All ready, guys,let's starting.

(Aris)My dad, he had that old school Greek workmentality, just go, go, go, go.

And the kitchen was alwaysrunning very smoothly.

I need a large pan 'cause I'mgonna cook some onion.

I feel my American dreamcome true.

It make me feel like verysuccessful, very, very good.

(Aris)But as time went on, my dad's standards have dropped.

Okay, I got a complaint.

Hey, guys, they saidthe keftedes were rock hard.

Huh? (Aris) He's been working 365days a year for 17 years.

He's just burning outfrom being here so long.

It was rubbery.

I don't know.

On the bottom.

Makis, I mean,he hardly anymore is making sure that everythingis cooked to perfection.

- (Makis) Put it up, put it up.

- Makis, that's not good.

It hurts me when I see our level drop because the standardsare not high enough.

I'm done.

You know, the lamb is very dry.

It all looks like it came outof a cafeteria.

Makis has really let a lot ofthings slip through the cracks.

The calamari was really,really.

Well, it's not Makis,okay.

And that's why our businesshas declined.

Not very many people around.

The situation is frustrating,but I want to change this place.

I want to make it better.

I haven't learned everything,but I will.

<i>I know I can.

</i> I'm very capable, and I know I can make it betterthan ever.

Anyway.

(Aris) My dad has a hard timelistening to other people sometimes because this is what he created,but I'm here to help.

And he wants to make sureI'm 100% ready, but I can't be 100% readyif he doesn't allow me to be.

I need your help.

Opa.

Aris isa super creative person.

[Applause] He's a great entertainer,great people-person.

Opa! But at the same time,how are you gonna help run a restaurantif you don't know the kitchen? (Makis)To run this restaurant, you have to come back hereat this kitchen.

And, Aris,he not have done this before.

Opa.

This restaurant is not onlymy father's legacy.

It's all of our legacy.

We've all worked together.

And I've seen the profit pretty much diminishuntil it's been non-existent.

How much money do we havein our account right now? Oh, we're getting low,we're getting low.

I don't knowhow I'm gonna do this.

It's like we workour asses off, and we don't make any money.

It's hard.

Oh, my God.

I'm just hoping that chef Ramsaywill help us get this restaurant to bethe success it deserves to be.

I don't want what we've spentyears building up to be lost.

I just don't want thatto happen.

Wow, look at this place,absolutely stunning.

On the water, it's almostlike a little slice of the mediterranean.

It's fairly busy as well.

How on Earth can a restaurantfail in this spot? I'm dying to find outwhat's been going on.

It's huge.

Greek food on the water.

Hello.

- Well, hello.

- How are you? I'm excellent.

- Your first name is?- Lynn.

Lynn, Gordon, nice to see you.

- Owner?- Yes, uh-huh.

- And you run the business?- My husband, Makis and I.

- You run it with your husband?<i>-Uh-huh.

</i> <i>(Aris)</i><i>Gordon, how are you doing?</i> <i>And there.

yeah, this is Aris,</i><i>our son.

</i> - Hello.

- How are you? Nice to meet you.

How are you?Good to see you.

- Thank you for coming.

- Why don't you get your father and let's sit down,have a catch up.

I'm really happyto see chef Ramsay, and I hope he's pretty niceto my boys.

Not too nice.

[Laughs] Okay.

"A", I am very happyto be here.

"B", I'm dying to find out what's wrong with the place.

How could a restaurantnot work when it's out on the water? <i>Right.

</i> Okay, mom? 17 years,it was very successful, and we did very, very well.

So when did it start to turn? The last couple of years,not profitable.

- No profit, yes.

- Wow, okay.

<i>How often are you here?</i> [Chuckles] Well, I work 14 hours a day,7 days a week.

Seven days a week? Yeah.

- That's the truth.

- Serious? <i>That's crazy.

</i> <i>(Aris)</i> <i>It is crazy.

</i> <i>He's been doing it too long.

</i> He's burnt out, and he might notadmit it but he is.

Are you burnt out? No.

No, no.

No.

<i>Are you gonna sit</i><i>in that kitchen</i> till you drop? I mean, where is the succession? Is the goal to groom?Aris will take over or.

No.

No.

Well, I'm here, and I'm doinga lot of stuff right now.

Sure.

<i>Do you work in the kitchen?</i> I don't,but that's one of my goals.

I want to learn the kitchen.

That's one of my.

I'm glad you're here because I wanna learnmore stuff and.

Mm-hmm.

Do you teach him how to cook? No.

Really?Why? Is he not good enough? Are you that muchof a control freak? No.

No, no.

Is he not committed? Well, I was thinking that.

I feellike I'm pulling teeth here.

Back in my mind, I expect himto be more here than he was.

So, he's not committed? He's just getting the passion.

He never really wantedwhen he graduated college.

<i>I never thought I would.

</i> <i>He didn't wanna be</i><i>a part of our business.

</i> Hmm.

Well, I mean, I'm here just trying to save this place,and it's just.

Are you committed now? I am committed here.

I am.

- You are?- Yes, I am.

I understand like, yeah,I haven't been here at times, but I need chef Ramsay to proveto my dad that I'm ready to do whatever it takesto make this place run better and smoothly,and it's time for big changes.

This is the time.

So, how would you rateyour food out of ten? - What would you give it?- My food, I give a ten.

- Ten?- Yes.

<i>Right.

</i><i>Let me eat.

</i> Let me give.

good to see you.

Nice to meet you.

Likewise, and I'm.

Okay.

All the recipes that I have forthe Greek food came from Greece.

A lot of people,when they visit Greece, they come here and they tell me, "the food is better herethan Greece.

" I think chef Ramsayis gonna like my food, yes.

<i>Hi.

</i><i>Hi, how are you doing?</i> How are you? - How are you?- My name is Demetri.

Demetri, good to see you.

Where are you from, buddy? I'm from Greece,Sparta.

Nice.

How long have you been here? In this restaurant,almost 15.

Wow.

Wow, wow, wow.

So you know everything? - Everything.

- First, the calamari.

The calamari is gonna be heaven? Or it's gonna be.

? - Hell.

- Exactly.

[Bleep].

Okay, let's try the calamari.

Okay.

And you know what,I'll have the hot salmon.

The platter.

- The platter? Okay.

- Yeah.

And I'll take the cold platter as well.

I'd like to see that.

I want to seeas much as possible.

Okay.

Anything else? I'll have the moussaka eggplantcasserole with the beef, yeah.

- With the beef.

- Brilliant.

- I think we're done.

- Thank you.

I'm very excited.

Chef Ramsay,the guy is smart.

And Makis, he needs to see,when the food is not good, everything is not good.

Calamari appetizer, make it.

<i>Heat the olive oil</i> and put onions and bell pepperswith the wine.

You guys, do what I say.

Makis is a very proud person.

He does not take criticism well.

But chef Ramsay is here to help.

He's not here to compliment.

Hmm.

Look at these tables.

Why would you cover them? <i>Dreadful tablecloths.

</i> <i>Bloody hell.

</i> The decor is hideous.

<i>And I haven't seen chairs</i><i>like this</i> since that banquet 30 years ago,my grandma's 80th.

<i>Is that a disco ball up there?</i> <i>Saturday night fever.

</i> In fact, looks like there'stwo disco balls up there.

What's going on here? It lookslike I'm back to 1970.

(Demetri)Okay.

That.

that's the calamari.

Okay.

We're looking at heaven or hell? Oh, dear.

And this is our cold platter.

Okay, great.

- Thank you.

<i>-Enjoy.

</i> <i>Thank you.

</i> It's greasy.

It looks like I'm havinga hell day, right? Yeah, it's not.

yes.

It's not good.

This is terrible.

- Told you.

- Oh, dear.

Can I take it away? <i>-Hmm, quickly.

</i><i>-I know.

</i> Damn.

<i>(Man)</i><i>How was the calamari?</i> (Demetri)Not good.

Very greasy.

- People love it.

- Yeah, it's very greasy.

Very popular.

That's a strange-looking hummus.

Seriously.

The only way to eatout of this is with a straw.

<i>[Laughs]</i> Seriously.

Greek dips.

<i>It looks like six plates</i> of Greek dog [Bleep].

That's what it goes in like, imaginewhat it's gonna come out lik.

Makis.

<i>He ate it with a straw.

</i> I mean, you have to be reallyidiot to make the hummus watery.

- This is our hot sampler.

- Wow.

Okay?[Bleep].

The meatballsare cold in the middle.

Falafel looklike they've been sat on by [Bleep] Greek goddess.

Yeah, I know.

And the phyllo paste,there's a lot of phyllo paste,but hardly anything in them.

Yeah.

And greasy.

Very shiny.

Yeah, not good.

And they're terrible.

There's no filling in there.

Thank you.

Thank you.

A taste of Greece.

Yeah, it tasted greasy.

What the [Bleep] is that?What is that? This is the moussakas.

Moussakas.

That's withthe roasted potatoes.

Okay, great.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Enjoy it.

Wow, moussaka.

It was drab.

I mean, it's shocking.

<i>It's so bad.

</i> Dreadful.

Demetri? The eggplant is spongy and raw.

Even the moussaka? Yeah, it's disgusting.

Carrots and mush.

That is an insultto any Greek isle.

Listen, can you get me all the chefs in the kitchenout in the dance hall.

I'd like to meet them, please.

Of course.

Okay, guys, all of the cooks,he want them over there.

<i>(Lynn)</i><i>He wants all the cooks.

</i> Everybody.

I mean, the falafel'sactually.

I thought some of my food is not the way he was describingthe food.

Oh, dear.

<i>Dear, oh, dear, oh, dear.

</i> That was a disaster.

I mean, I've just sat down and had the biggest [Bleep]embarrassment to Greece that I've ever tasted<i>in my entire life.

</i> The platter, bland.

<i>Falafel, dry.

</i> And the biggest kick in my Greek[Bleep], liquid hummus.

Liquid! The Greek moussaka eggplant.

Undercooked, bitter.

<i>It's an insult</i><i>not just to Greece</i> <i>but to the vegetable itself.

</i> Did anyone taste it? Of course, it's wrong.

- It's done wrong.

- Come on, that's frightening.

<i>What hurts me is the fact</i> that you're actually realizingthat it's [Bleep] And still sending it.

I can't do anything about it.

I'm Greek, I grew upwith this food, but I'm not allowedto cook the food the way I cook it in Greece.

Here, I'm following Makis' way,and he's tired.

- Makis, have you given up?- No.

You run your business likeyou've given up.

No, no, that's not true.

<i>I don't believe that my food</i><i>is that terrible, okay?</i> My food is similarto Cephalonia.

You think it'ssimilar to Cephalonia? Yes, sir.

<i>Yeah.

</i> Not today, my friend.

Your calamari is greasy.

It's bland.

<i>How come I have all these</i><i>people says my calamari</i> is the best they've ever had? They're blowing smokeup your ass.

You're not that stupid.

It's not one or two.

Thousands of people.

No, stop exaggerating.

Where are the thousandsof people that tell you that your calamari is the best? Are they booked infor dinner tonight? <i>You came from Greece.

</i> You bring it over,you make it better here.

You've made it worse.

I got really upset when chef Ramsaytalked to me like that.

I know how the food is,and people love it.

And he has no clueabout the food here.

(Announcer)Coming up.

Oh, my God.

- They didn't like any of it.

- What do you want me to say? (Announcer) Makis' standards inthe kitchen are questionable.

- (Gordon) <i>It smells.

</i>- <i>It's good.

</i> Makis, you're sick.

(Announcer)And later.

Something's happened,and you better tell me what.

I don't have to say nothing.

(Announcer) A stunning revelationthreatens to tear this family apart.

Do you think he still holds thatagainst him? - Yeah.

- (Gordon) Does he? (Lynn)Yeah.

(Announcer) You don't wanna miss what'scoming up on <i>Kitchen Nightmares.

</i> (Announcer) The town of Ventura isa buzz with chef Ramsay's visit.

How are you all doing? (Announcer) And as the restaurantfills up with diners.

Are you ready? (Announcer)Chef Ramsay is anxious to begin his kitchen investigationduring dinner service.

So what do you do in service?How do you work? - What do you do?- What I do here? Yeah, yeah.

They work, I watch.

<i>(Gordon)</i><i>And who expedites?</i> I do if I have to.

Wow.

Where are the P.

O.

S.

systems? <i>(Makis)</i><i>P.

O.

S.

is right here.

</i> Marika, Marika.

<i>There's my daughter</i><i>right there.

</i> - Hello.

- She's your daughter.

- Hi.

- How are you? - Nice to meet you.

- Likewise.

Good to see you too.

I think chef Ramsay doesn't knowwhat he's stepping into.

My dad is just likereally set in his ways.

And what's that for? Just the minced onions,and this is veggie dolmades.

What's under here? <i>Baked carrots.

</i> Bloody hell.

We cook them today.

And we'reheating them up.

So it served like a cafeteriawhere everything.

All the carrots done,all by [Indistinct].

There's a lot that we cookand then store and just take out whatever'sfor the order each order.

That's not good,but I'm not leading the kitchen, so I don't really have a sayover that.

So a t this is cooked? It's cooking right now, yeah.

No, it's not cooking.

It's cooked.

Yes.

We're cooking food, and it's sitting theredrying out.

It's all cooked.

It's a [Bleep].

Doesn't it looklike a cafeteria to you? - No.

- <i>God bless California.

</i> One tabbouleh, please.

- John.

- Yes? Your falafel, man.

(Announcer) With so much of thefood prepared in advance.

- Are you happy with that?- Yes.

(Announcer)This restaurant has no problem sending dishes outat a rapid pace.

Table 10, table 15.

Table 91, please.

- Ready.

- Calamari.

Chicken Caesar salad.

Does food normally cone outthis quickly? Yeah.

<i>(Gordon)</i><i>That's like sort of flying out.

</i> - It's ready.

- Take it, take it.

Oh, my God.

Makis, do you nottell them anything? Do you not say anythingto the chefs? What do you want me to say? All right, let's keep going.

It's just ridiculous.

Like, I'm not tryingto stop you.

I'm trying to help you.

But my dad, he gets soegotistical about it sometimes.

It's like I'm just thislittle eight-year-old getting barked at.

- Are you all right?- (Aris) <i>Yeah, yeah.

</i> <i>I just need to cool off</i><i>after that.

</i> I know.

I can see the tension.

Your father's thereexpediting the food, letting it go, sauce drippingall over the side, and it's almostlike he's given up.

I mean, was he like thatten years ago? No, I think, he's justphysically exhausted, and he's been working 15 hoursa day his whole life, I mean, imagine that.

Do you ever sit down and say,"dad, you know, it's so obviouswhere we're going wrong"? I want to help,but he doesn't want to listen.

He's so stubborn, man.

I don't know, man.

It's just.

Horrific.

This has turned out to be a veryfunny Greek restaurant.

A little bit differentto what I expected.

- Thank you.

- <i>Thank you.

</i> (Announcer)Unfortunately for the diners, the restaurant is also differentfrom what they expected.

I don't like this one.

You don't like it? The veggies came out raw, and then I brought out more,and they were still raw.

Oh, God.

(Announcer)As tray.

- This is cold.

- After tray.

The lamb chops aresupposed to be rare.

- After tray.

- Tabbouleh's very bland.

Gets sent back to the kitchen.

Oh, my God.

(Announcer)Unbelievably, there's almost as much food coming backas there is going out.

Dad, how are you doing? The situation is frustrating.

Obviously, we have problemswith this restaurant, but I don't know what to doexactly.

- Kali, you ready, hon?- Okay.

I'll announce it right now.

<i>Hello, everybody, welcome</i><i>to the Greek at the Harbor.

</i> My name is Aris.

<i>We're gonna perform</i><i>a little dancing</i> for you right now.

So, please enjoy the show.

<i>There's more dances to come.

</i> <i>Opa!</i> [Music plays] <i>Opa!</i> [Clapping] Opa.

What's that clapping going on? We have Greek dancingand the belly dancing and.

Really? Yeah.

[Bleep].

[Clapping] Un-[Bleep]-believable.

[Clapping] [Cheers] Now I getwhat he's passionate about.

[Cheers and applause] Finally, something edible.

(Announcer) Despite Aris pleasing someof the diners with his dancing.

We have a problem.

They continue to be farfrom pleased with the food.

<i>(Gordon)</i><i>What's wrong?</i> The batter on the fish and chipswas still slimy.

The roast lamb was inedible.

Get me Aris, please.

<i>(Waitress)</i><i>Oh, and they said</i> - <i>all of it was lukewarm.

</i>- <i>Where's Makis?</i> - What is it?- Just smell that.

Just smellinside that, inside.

- What's wrong with that one?- Eat a little bit.

I'm not eating that,it smells.

- It's good.

- It's what? - It's good?- You're sick.

Makis, you're sick.

I'm very worried about Makis because it should be obvious when something is not cookedproperly.

There's no way that you can say,"oh well, they were just complainers.

"It's real.

Aris, you need to know what'sgoing on here as well.

<i>As far as your father's</i><i>concerned, it's good,</i> there's nothing wrong with it.

He's not even a chef,and he knows it's dry.

Come on, Makis.

You stood there and watchedthat [Bleep] come out.

<i>It's an embarrassment</i><i>to Cephalonia.

</i> (Aris)I knew this was gonna happen.

My dad.

he's not stupid.

He's a great cook.

But he also is in denial a bit.

He's a type of person that,asking for help maybe, it is a sense of failure to him.

My emotions are deeply hurt from what chef Ramsay says.

Hey, dad.

(Makis)Hey.

Are you just relaxing? Yeah.

It's just really sad,you know he's just an older man that can't reallyhandle it all.

I love you.

I love you too.

I just don't like itwhen my dad is so sad.

It's really hurts.

(Announcer) It's an hour anda half into dinner service.

They didn't like any of it.

(Announcer) And even though foodis flooding back to the kitchen.

You stood there and watchedthat [Bleep] come out.

It's an embarrassmentto Cephalonia.

(Announcer)Makis seems have lost interest.

It's almostlike he doesn't exist.

What do you want me to say? I don't feel goodwhen I see food coming back.

<i>(Gordon)</i> <i>Makis?Can I have a word</i> <i>with you outside?</i> Yeah.

What's happening? I don't know.

Why are you doing thisto yourself? What do you want me to do? I want you to wake upa little bit.

You're letting it happenunder your nose.

What do you want me to say? I just want you to bea little bit more [Bleep] honest - with yourself.

- I never lie.

Okay.

But how come you haven'ttaught Aris anything? How come you don't have himby your side? Why haven't you treated himlike a son? - What is it?- Nothing.

Something's happened.

And you better tell me what.

I don't know what happened.

- I don't know.

- Yes, you do.

Oh, don't.

Don't act like that.

You can't just give up.

Come on, [Bleep].

How we doing? - How we doing?- No, we're not doing well.

We're not doing well.

He has to be a little bitmore honest with us.

I'm not honest? No.

You're paying the price for it.

I don't understand why you're not closerto your father.

I don't understandwhy you're not open with that big Greek heartof yours.

I don't get it.

It's time to change,you know.

He's going to needa commitment from you.

A commitmentas father-son.

And if you got any chanceof carrying on this legacy, then you need to beby his side.

(Aris)He won't teach me anything.

(Gordon)It doesn't make sense.

Have a word with him.

Have a word.

I'm struggling.

[Bleep] Me.

I need to sit down.

I'm tired.

I don't want youto struggle here anymore.

I'm fine, dad.

Just let me.

Let me.

let me help.

Let me help you.

I know.

With my dad,even though he loves me and I love him, it's just.

It's almost like I'm not goodenough for him.

It's a [Bleep] feeling.

It hurts.

(Announcer) Gordon is stillcompletely mystified by Makis' lackof mentoring of Aris.

You got two minutes?We'll catch up.

- Okay.

- Please.

(Announcer) And he has only one otherperson to turn to for answers.

So, I'd love to hear itfrom you, you know, why have they been ignoringeach other? Well, when Aris wentto college, he never really wantedto be here.

And most of the time,he wouldn't be here at all.

He'd come, like, at nightto dance and so forth.

And when he graduatedfrom college, we had his party here, and wehad.

I mean, the place was full.

We had 100 people here or so.

And when he was doinghis little speech and thanking people for comingand everything, you know, he announced, "I'm gonna makesomething of my life, " I'm not workingin the restaurant.

" What? In frontof all of the staff? In front of allof his friends.

Wow.

I mean, how rude.

You paid the feesfor the college.

He comes backand hosts the party in his parents' restaurant and then [Bleep] on themfrom a great height.

Mm-hmm.

I rememberthat very well, yeah.

It was as if what we'd done all these years was,like, uh, worthless.

Is Makis's soul hurt? Do you think he still holds thatagainst him? - Yeah.

- Does he? Yeah, it's.

he really does.

[Sighs]Unbelievable.

It hurt us very bad, and I've always remembered it.

Never discused it,never talked about it.

But it hurt.

(Announcer) Gordon has finallylearned the real truth behind what's tearingthis family apart.

He announced, "I'm gonna makesomething of my life.

" I'm not workingin the restaurant.

" What? (Announcer) And now Makis andAris arrive at the restaurant unaware of whathe has just uncovered.

Pull a chair up.

Both of you sit down.

<i>I want to tell you something</i><i>really important.

</i> I'm [Bleep] off with you,and I'll tell you why.

I don't thinkthat you've quite understood the level of support thatyou've had in and out of here.

<i>And so when you turned around</i> and told all your friendsin your parents' restaurant <i>that you're gonna make</i><i>something out of yourself,</i> <i>it was in a way</i><i>that you were disgusted</i> with being brought upin the restaurant, and this wasn't you.

You were above that.

Well, it wasn't me beingabove it.

It was just.

I didn't knowif at one point.

It was the way you declaredit wasn't good enough for you.

Well, this was before.

- I know.

- Yes.

<i>But you did it,</i> and you [Bleep]on your own doorstep.

I wasn't [Bleep] on that.

I love my family.

I'm telling you, you did.

Well, I was.

I was confusedat the time too.

I didn't know whI was gonna do with my life.

I went to college.

I didn't know if the restaurantbusiness was something I was gonna do, and I didn'tknow if I was ready to do it.

I don't think you've everunderstood the ramifications of an announcement like that.

<i>How did you feel</i> truthfully about that statement?Truthfully.

My son, when he say somethinglike that, it hurts me, yes.

<i>Thank you.

</i> I mean,I'm not a perfect.

- Don't look at me.

- <i>No, I'm just saying.

</i> <i>No, no if you've</i><i>got anything to say,</i> I'd say itto your mom and dad.

Take the opportunity.

I'm gonna give youa little bit of privacy.

(Aris)I.

I just see how we struggledas a family, <i>regardless if we're making</i><i>money or not.

</i> <i>We kill ourselves here.

</i> And I didn't want to kill myselfeither, not in a selfish way.

I just didn't want.

I don't.

But, I guess, I remember it, because it really hurt mewhen you said it.

I remember it.

And I don't think that'sanything we ever talked about.

And I sincerely apologizefor saying that, 'cause that was so wrong of me.

<i>Mom, dad,</i> I am sorry.

Here.

I love you.

I love you too.

I think Makis hasn't reallytaken Aris seriously because he's never reallygotten himself committed, but that has changed.

And for him to make thisdeclaration with such passion, he's definitely committed.

I'm 100% believe that.

(Makis)Everything's gonna work.

It will.

(Announcer) After Aris clearedthe air with his parents, chef Ramsay is still concernedabout his commitment.

Okay.

So I've been doingsome thinking.

Why have you hung aroundso long? It's my family.

It's like, I don't.

We don't give up on our family.

<i>And th I is my home too.

</i> So I love this place,and I wanna fix it.

(Gordon) But I don't know if you'recommitted enough, that's all.

Because it's not aboutdancing on the dance floor.

No, I know.

But if you putthat determination that you put in that [Bleep]dance floor last night, carrying all those [Bleep]tables in your mouth, in the kitchen, trust me,you'll be untouchable here.

And that's what I want.

I know at one point,I wouldn't have believed in me either,I've changed.

I know I can do this.

I just need support, and I justneed my dad to help me.

So, you say you're committed.

I am committed, yes.

And you saythat you're committed.

- Yes.

- <i>Yes?</i> So put both your hands together.

Like this, hands out.

Now.

<i>(Aris)</i><i>Oh, [Bleep].

</i> - Yeah.

- Even if I'm right-handed? - Don't care.

- You don't care.

'Cause you're not cooking.

You're gonna be taught.

Now, look at me,for the very first time in the historyof father and son, get into that kitchenand show him something.

<i>I don't care if it's</i><i>a simple Greek salad,</i> a roasted fish, or whether it'sa stunning hummus, I don't care.

- But show him.

- Sure.

Now.

Now watch.

Don't bull me too much now.

Don't be a bull.

Getting handcuffedwas a funny experience.

I'm gonna need a plateto put it in.

- All right?- Well, I have to walk with you.

My dad kind of like is this bull trying to attack me.

- Let's make a pasta, huh.

- You want pasta? This is exactlywhat I've been looking for; to have this opportunity.

So, let's do it.

Okay.

Slice a tomato.

Here, I can do it.

How's that? Go.

Okay, let's put the onions.

We're gonna waiton the garlic, right? - Yeah.

- Because it cooks faster.

We need seasoning to beput in there or anything? Let's put some black pepper.

- A little sprinkle.

- Yeah.

You want me to addsome of the sauce? Yeah, add a coupof spoonfuls there.

Cooking with my dad was great.

Reduce it a little bit,and then we're done.

And I'm proving to him right now Im gonna learn the kitchenand I guess the only way you can ever learnis just to do it, right? Tastes great.

Totaly.

It was a lot of fun for me and Aristo b ein that way and I see that Arishas a passion about this restaurant,and I'm very proud.

Gordon, we got it done.

Voila, monsieur.

- What is that?- Greek pasta.

Uh-huh.

Did you listento your father? - I did.

- Yeah? (Makis)How is that? Yeah, yeah, it's nice.

<i>I see more consistency</i><i>in this plate</i> than I did in the wholeof service last night.

It did my heart good becausethis was a turning point.

This was the first time thatMakis has ever really shown Aris any Greek cooking.

<i>Thank you.

</i> I have very strong feelingsabout my boy that he's not a boy any longer,he's a man.

And I'm ready to back off alittle out of the way, his way.

- Are you committed to do it?- Of course.

What I know I will teach you.

- Everything.

- Okay.

- Okay?- Sounds good to me.

That's what I want.

(Announcer)Coming up.

- Are you ready?- Yes.

(Announcer)Aris finally gets his shot at running the restaurant.

I need a homemade hero sandwichon the dot, now! I got it.

(Announcer) Will he leadthe team to success? <i>(Gordon)</i><i>Don't rush, don't rush.

</i> Stop throwing food.

If they're out of controland you're out of control,we're finished.

(Announcer)Or will he disappoint Makis? It's [Bleep] coldin the center, guys.

<i>(Gordon)</i><i>Oh, no.

Come on.

</i> (Announcer) And chef Ramsay.

Just take it.

No.

It's stone cold.

It's raw.

Stop, stop, stop.

Stop!Stop! (Announcer) Now that itappears as though Makis is finally passingthe torch to Aris, chef Ramsay and his teammove ahead with the restaurant makeover.

Good morning.

(All)Good morning.

Are you readyfor a stunning new change? (All) Yes.

We are.

Good.

Today, we are saying good-byeto the past and opening the doorsto your new future.

Are you readyto see your restaurant? <i>Off you go.

</i><i>Go in, go in, go in.

</i> Wow.

Oh.

<i>(Gordon)</i><i>Welcome to the new Greek.

</i> <i>(All)</i><i>Wow.

</i> <i>(Gordon)</i><i>How beautiful is this?</i> - (Marika) I love that blue.

- (Makis) <i>Beautiful.

</i> - Awesome.

- (Gordon) <i>Stunning!</i> - Nice.

- It's amazing.

Wow.

It's so beautiful, <i>it's so beautiful.

</i> When I first walked in here,I saw a banquet hall with hideous chairsthat was set up with no charm.

So, we've takena tacky restaurant out of the '80s and put itinto the 21st century.

And the good newsis the disco balls have gone.

<i>Look at the ceiling.

</i><i>You got the Greek windmills.

</i> <i>(Makis)</i><i>Oh, look at that.

</i> Have a lookat those beautiful tables.

They were covered before.

We got them sanded.

We got them varnished.

They're your own tables.

- Excellent.

- Gone are the murals.

Why have a mural of a harboron the wall when you're sat in frontof the harbor? And look at that babydown there on the wall, a custom-made Greek flagshutter.

Wow.

Beautiful.

- A shutter, wow.

- This is outstanding.

Complete joyis what I feel right now.

Wow.

Oh! Oh [Bleep].

How are you? Huh?Wow.

I have goose bumps on me.

It feels totallylike, "where I am now?" In santorini on the hill there?" It feels like home.

It's spectacular, beautiful.

Makis, I like to see youso alive like this.

Aren't you happy? - Yes, I am.

- Yeah? I think this is oneof your best show decorations I've ever seen.

[Laughter] - This is.

- I agree.

I think it's oneof my best also.

[Laughter] (Announcer) To go along withthe dramatic makeover.

Oh!Come down, all of you, please.

(Announcer).

Is an equallydramatic redesign of the menu.

Okay.

Let's have a look the menu.

The dips, tzatziki, the hummus, beautiful,not smeared on a plate, not sipped through a straw.

[Laughter]<i>A proper dip.

</i> The falafel.

look at them.

Small, dainty, delicious,and made with a spicy chickpea.

- <i>(Aris)</i> <i>Nice.

</i>- <i>Gyro.

Is a homemade pate.

</i> Okay? Wait till you taste it.

You've got the grilled lamb chop that's served with grilledartichokes, sun-dried tomatoes, yeah, arugula saladand tahini sauce.

<i>The zucchini eggplant moussaka</i><i>layered with potatoes</i> <i>and topped with bechamel.

</i> <i>With chili in there,</i><i>so we got some heat</i> <i>in there as well</i><i>at the same time.

</i> - <i>Excited?</i>- <i>Oh, yeah.

</i> This is look.

the bestI ever seen in my life.

It's fresh,it's taking part of what you put intothis restaurant to begin with.

And we've modernized it.

You did, you did great.

- Yeah?- <i>Yes.

</i> Okay.

I want you all to dig in.

<i>(Aris)</i><i>All right.

</i> Have a little taste, ok?Jump in.

(All)Mm.

Oh, my God,it's amazing.

Excellent.

At the beginning, actually,I would have.

was.

I was denial about the food, but this is the best foodI've ever had, Greek food.

So good,the falafel.

Melts in your mouth,not dry.

The food is really, really good.

I mean, it's amazing,and it's a new direction, it's a new beginning.

And I'm excited about it.

This really tastes good.

It's really good.

Mm.

(Announcer)With the reins of the restaurant being handed overfrom father to son.

Okay, Makis, you ready?Yeah? (Announcer) Chef Ramsay hasMakis working the salad station and Aris in the crucial roleof expediter.

- Are you ready?- Yes.

Okay, good.

- You don't take [Bleep] from them.

- Yeah.

And you're the last[Bleep] line of defense.

Don't let themthrow food out at you.

We have a new menu in line,awesome new recipes.

I'm taking chargeof this kitchen.

I wanna make sure peopleare following the recipes and they're not [Bleep] 'em up.

<i>Make me proud, boys.

</i><i>Let's do this.

</i> Hello.

(Announcer) Word of there-launch has spread, and the restaurant fills upquickly with eager diners.

Hello, how you doing? - Hello.

- Welcome to the Greek.

The calamari would be great.

Okay.

A kitchenneeds to be driven.

Let's go.

<i>(Aris)</i> <i>All right.

</i> <i>First ticket up, guys.

</i> Two vegetarian moussakas.

Fire those right away.

Okay.

Panos, let me count that.

Two zucchini moussakas, please.

(Makis) Aris is in chargeof the kitchen tonight.

But he has to step upand do this.

I got the hummus.

You guys got the moussaka.

How much time? 2 1/2 minutes.

- Nice.

- All right.

Another ticket up, we gota shrimp and a calamari.

All right, I got it.

How much timeon that calamari? - Two minutes.

- Two minutes, let's do it.

Good,that's what I wanna hear.

Push and encourage.

Push and encourage, yeah? Is the vegetarian moussaka upor no? Zucchini moussaka.

(Announcer) In spite of it beinghis first time expediting.

Cathy, you're up too.

Come right back.

(Announcer) Aris islooking very comfortable.

Four minutes on the saganaki.

Watch the falafel.

(Announcer) And a steady stream oforders are flowing out of the kitchen.

- Who got the Greek salad?- Here's your calamari.

(Announcer)And the results are unanimous.

Oh!That's so good.

This is fantastic.

I need a saganakiright away.

23's up, okay? (Announcer)Back in the kitchen, under the watchful eyeof chef Ramsay.

Watch the sauce.

Put lessin there next time.

Yeah, I don't wanna it allpissing down the side, yes? (Announcer)Aris continues to perform.

<i>(Gordon)</i><i>Don't rush, don't rush.

</i> I need a new saganaki.

How's it going? Last line of defense,you.

I hope you're checking it.

That's all.

I'm not gonna let you throw foodout tonight.

- I'd rather stop.

- Okay.

Than [Bleep] go crazyat the end.

<i>(Aris)</i> <i>Let's go at table 11 here now.

</i> <i>Ready?</i> Yes.

I got one more spanakopita,right.

All right, kelsey,you're up.

You got another branzino,another Fisherman's catch.

- Here.

- There you go.

- All right.

- Who's this for, Cathy? - Just take it.

- Let me just check.

Is that cooked? Nah, it's stone cold.

It's raw.

Stop, stop, stop.

Stop! [Glass breaks] (Announcer)It's re-launch night, Aris' big chanceto finally prove himself.

Guys, let's get it togetherhere.

We got it, come on.

(Announcer) But just when it appearsas though everything is on track.

Who's this for?Cathy? Just take it.

(Announcer) The kitchenis starting to unravel.

Is that cooked? It's raw.

Stop, stop, stop.

Stop! Look at me.

If they're out of control and you're out-of-control,we're finished, because you are maintainingthe standards.

Hey, all of you, stop.

One, two, three, four, five.

You come here.

Come here! Come here! Look at what you're sending out.

That wasn'tlike the first table.

I'm not sending that.

And what the [Bleep] is that?Come on, guys.

Mush.

Look at me.

Look at me.

You have to stay in control.

You've got to stayin control.

- Got it.

- Okay? Yes.

I can't letthe kitchen fall apart.

I'll do whatever it takesto get better.

Let's slow it down.

Slow down, slow down.

- Thank you.

- One ticket at a time.

Standards.

Right now, standards.

Let's get the calamari up.

<i>All right, table 32,</i><i>how we looking?</i> Where's the Fisherman's catch? I don't wantto see [Bleep] go out, guys.

<i>Come on.

Make sure it's cooked</i><i>and good, all right?</i> (Announcer) A very determined Arisclearly has his focus his back.

This chicken's sitting heretoo [Bleep] long.

Finally.

(Announcer)He's catching mistakes.

It's [Bleep] coldin the center, guys.

Oh, no.

Come on.

(Announcer)And quickly getting them fixed.

Panos, you're gonna haveto reheat this.

Let's get that donebefore we continue, guys.

Make sure it's quality.

Listen to him.

Stop throwing food.

Well-spotted.

Look at me.

This is the transition.

- This is it.

- Yes.

Okay guys, this isa team effort, all right? - <i>Are you guys with me?</i>- <i>Yes.

</i> Okay, good.

You guys got this, come on.

<i>(Gordon)</i><i>Good, that's what I wanna hear.

</i> <i>(Panos)</i><i>Veggie moussaka 33?</i> Awesome.

Azee, take this.

Good, good to go.

Guys, we need a little bitmore sauce on that meat.

(Gordon) Nice.

I need one more calamari, guys.

- The calamari is coming.

- Thank you.

(Both)Opa.

Fire the chicken,fire the lamb chops.

- Hear him on the hot plates?- Yeah, I hear it.

Let's focus on table 25 and table 30.

He's doing good.

Do you believe that's your son? I was surpriseda little bit, but Aris did a great jobfor the first time expediting.

Just wipe it down.

I'm very proud of my son.

[Cheers and applause] Oh, my God.

So how do you guyslike the new menu? Awesome, good.

They loved it.

Not one complaint.

I just need the lamb burger,and we're done.

Coming up now.

Let's finish it.

[Bleep], come on.

Aris is totally in controlof the line expediting.

And, table by table by table,he's stepped up.

It's so good.

It was good.

I'm stuffed.

And that's a fabulous feeling.

[Laughing] No, that was awesome.

Well done,seriously well done.

We had an excellent re-launch.

<i>Yes, we had our bumps,</i><i>but, my God,</i> there was an amazing buzzin there tonight.

<i>A dramatic change.

</i> - Yes.

- Yeah.

Customers loved the food, yeah? Loved the decor, butthe big transformation tonight was Aris.

[Laughter] You nailed it.

You did a phenomenal job.

Thank you.

I'd never seen anyone.

And I really mean this.

Take to expeditingthe way you did tonight.

That was your first time, and it felt like you've beendoing it for ten years.

Makis, how was that for you, to listen to himcontrolling the kitchen? (Makis) Yeah.

He did a great job.

It's very impressive.

Chef Ramsay came into unite us together.

My son and I will be verysuccessful, I believe that.

Stay together as a family, 'cause when it works,it's beautiful.

Of course.

<i>This family right here,</i><i>we're unbreakable.

</i> - Thank you.

- Stay in there.

- I will.

- Yeah? Look after him.

Thank you very much.

Because of chef Ramsay, my dad believes in me,and he knows I can do anything.

I have a lot of work to dopersonally to learn the kitchen, but I'm an ambitious young man,and I'm ready to do it.

You've got the wind in the sail,run with it, okay? Thanks again.

Good night.

Good night.

Thank you, Gordon.

[sighs] Wow, when I first arrived, this restaurantwas a big fat Greek mess.

We made a lot of changes, somedramatic changes to the food, the decor, but more importantly,to Aris.

And now, that guy has his feetfirmly on the ground.

This restaurant has every chanceof not becoming a great tragedy.

Oopah! What the [Bleep] was he doingwith those tables? (Announcer)In the days that followed, Aris continued to embrace hisrole as leader of the kitchen.

Go ahead, take that out.

33 is next, guys.

I need a vegetarian moussaka.

(Announcer) And is determinedto maintain the high standards that chef Ramsay put in place.

Hey, the fish is raw.

Guys, watch the fish.

(Announcer) With Aris in completecontrol and new customers packing the restauranton a nightly basis.

I love it.

(Announcer) Makis isconsidering doing something he thought he would never do.

- It's good to change.

- Yeah.

- It has to be done.

- (Announcer).

Retire.

Makis is so proud of Aris.

We all are.

He's really provedthat he's committed to make this restaurantbe the best it can be.

Fries, we need fries.

Let's do it.

(Lynn)Chef Ramsay, thank you so much.

Aris' future is definitebright, and so is the Greek's.

Great job.

I love you all.

I love you too.

[Laughter] Sync and corrected by dr.

Jacksonfor www.

Addic7ed.

Com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Kitchen © 2013. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger Shared by Themes24x7
Top