- If it doesn't have a face, if it never had a face, would you eat it? - My name is Sara and I'm a video producer here at Buzzfeed and I just found out about lab grown meat.

So if you're like me, you'rethinking wait what is that? - What is it called? Is it like real meat? - Quick explainer.

Lab grown meat is actual meat, but they didn't slaughteran animal to get it.

- I guess it's likecloned meat or something? - It's originally fromlike an animal cell right, so they have to get somethingfrom an animal to then grow.

- Stem cells are taken from an animal and then they're grown in a culture.

The cells multiply untilthey become muscle tissue.

- This looks likesomebody's getting pregnant.

- That muscle tissue is what forms meat.

Some of this sounds verycool and sci-fi, right? But what are the benefitsof lab grown meat? According to the UN, meat consumption is expected to rise asmuch as 73% by 2050.

- Means we have like ahuge global food problem and so you know if it helpssolve that then awesome.

- Growing meat in labs couldreduce greenhouse gases by 96% compared to traditional livestock farms.

Are all of the benefitsfrom lab grown meat enough to convince a vegetarianor vegan to try it? - I was raised withoutany red meat or pork, so I think it would make me pretty sick.

- My stomach would immediately reject it and I would just vomit, so probably not.

- Don't want to eatmeat anyway whether it's from an animal or grown in a lab.

- Yeah I don't think I stopped eating meat because of the cruelty.

I miss chicken, I miss cheese,I miss all these things, I just my stomach can'ttolerate it anymore.

- I think it's taking something from them that we don't need to takeaway and why do we need to take a animal cell to then grow a burger if we have so many plant based options? - For a lot of vegetarians and vegans, it doesn't matter it's lab grown meat.

They're not interested in meat period.

But for the meat eaters,there are also some concerns.

- I would probably try it, lab grown meat.

It's a little bit weird.

- I would try it once, you know, 'cause I think I wouldtry everything once.

- But I guess it's no weirder than eating like an actual animal.

- Look, you cook it, I'll eat it.

- The fact that we eat animalsis a little weird anyway, 'cause they're just like, they're not that different from people.

Why do I eat meat? - If I knew that it was grownin a lab I would still eat it.

I have no standards when it comes to food.

- I would be down as long as they can prove it's not a carcinogen.

As long as like 30 years from now people aren't growing arms out oftheir heads or something.

- It depends on how expensive it is.

- I wouldn't pay more money to eat food that was grown in a lab just because it didn't kill any animals.

I'm broke.

- Yeah lab grown meatit sounds pretty fancy.

It has to be expensive right? Like how much does it cost? - The current hamburger has costed 250,000 euro which is quite a lot.

- Dr.

Mark Post's lab grown hamburger cost $331,000 to produce in 2013 but the prices havegone down substantially in the past few years andby 2023 Dr.

Mark Post hopes that you'll be buying lab grownmeat at supermarket prices.

- If it tastes good and it looks like they're doing it responsibly, I have no problems with it.

- Hell yeah I'd eat lab grown meat.

That sounds dope.

Meat's delicious, everyone knows that unless you're not into meat.

- There is quite someflavor with the browning and I know there is no fat in it, so I didn't really know howit's, how juicy it will be.

- Lab grown meat lacks the fatfrom traditional livestock, so unless you're super into lean meat, the taste might not be your thing.

- But there is quite some intense taste.

It's close to meat, it's not that juicy.

- The good news is thatscientists are experimenting on ways to add healthyfats into lab grown meat so you can get thatjuicy taste you desire.

♫ Mm juicy taste But the bottom line isif I walked up to you with a hamburger, that wasmade out of lab grown meat, would you try it? - Man if this lab grownmeat thing works out, it would be very exciting.

I mean I love-- - One Earth, one people, so people make it in a lab.

- That's true.

What was your question?.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Kitchen © 2013. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger Shared by Themes24x7
Top