- How we doing, Fitties? It's me.

- And me.

- Her.

- And him.

- And the lovely Hamish.

On us guys, come onstop looking at Hamish.

Guys, in this video today wewanna talk about social media.

You're probably watching thison social media right this second and the truth iswe love social media.

Facebook, Instagram, all of that.

It's amazing for us.

We run our online business.

You know, we spend a goodchunk of our time here and over the years we've metsome truly amazing people that we never would've comeacross if it wasn't for social media.

However, there can be anegative side to social media and I suppose I'm probablyreferring a little bit more to Instagram on this front,but you know, Facebook as well.

In that, you know people areI suppose easily distracted by social media.

People are so easily kind oflike, misled into what other people are doing to getresults so let's look at this from like a fat loss, health,training perspective here.

We talk about this a lot wherekind of Instagram's kind of like people's, it's likesomeone's highlight reel isn't it? - Yeah.

- You know, very rarely onInstagram do you see people, go you know putting up all thekind of like the bad stuff if you like or a not so perfectlooking fried egg (laughs).

Or you know like them kindof in the gym tearing up an amazing workout.

In fact just doing a videoand telling people how crap they feel that day and whythey're probably going to skip the gym and have a day of rest instead.

And so the reason I'm kindof putting it out there is because you know, when yousee these pictures, when you see these videos you have noidea what's going on behind the scenes, you know.

You kind of make this assumptionthat that person's got this perfect life and thateverything is just so easy for them and you could neverkind of achieve the results that you wanna achieve causeyou don't have that life and or you don't have access to agym or you don't have the time to kind of prepare food.

Whatever it may be.

So people can be I suppose,derailed if you like by what they're seeing and whatthey're perceiving as health or they're perceiving assuccess on social media.

- Also it can feel like it'salmost so far ahead of you, what's the point? So when you see, because asMatt said it's the highlight reel, it's kind of the bestof the best and that is gonna go across someone's you know,the training they're doing, the nutrition their following,or maybe the before and afters that are put out.

It's the best of the best sofor you it's gonna feel maybe almost unachievable,unattainable, but actually for the majority of the populationit's not really meant to be either.

So it's certainly it's notyour journey and it's not your goal it's just somebody youknow, possibly trying to attract you towards them, to follow them.

And I'd certainly sayfor me what's helped is my attitude toward nutrition,exercise has changed so much and kind of come right backtowards supporting my health and nourishing my body so Ialways think back to when you first sign up to an exercise class or you are kind of trying to be healthy.

We used to use many moons ago,like magazines or we'd go to a class, a group exerciseclass and you'd always compare yourself then and you'd alwayslook around to what everyone else was doing and there wouldbe moments where you'd feel maybe slightly inadequate oryou know, kind of like the newbie in the room or the beginner.

Or you'll read the magazinesand you're kind of like I wanna look like that, youknow how do I get there.

And what we've got with socialmedia is this is happening now, you've kind of got thatsituation but on a heightened level so it's every day, butit's also several times a day.

So it's helpful to kind ofactually look at all the people that you're following.

That you're seeing down your news feed.

Ones that are actually kindof trying to coach you.

So they're trying tooffer help and advice.

If they're not, and it's justkind of just throwing pictures at you all the time, but don'treally offer you any value then perhaps it's time to editthat news feed and unfollow a few people.

I know I definitely have donethat and I've found that the people that actually do inspireme, which is the real point in social media.

It should be that itinspires us to make change.

It's the people that actuallydon't have a huge following but they are there day in,day out kind of talking about things, things that I wanna do.

So I've just startedyoga teacher training.

I follow a lot of peopletalking about you know, things like handstands, a really technical move.

But for me just watchingshow reels of people doing handstands doesn't help me atall, but if someone can tell me who can't do anything likea handstand at the moment, just the first few stepsthat they did to get there.

You know, I'm there, I'm followingthem and I'm inspired and I'm gonna be with that person.

That's the beauty of socialmedia in a way, is that we can pick and choose who we're exposed to.

- Well I was gonna say, causeobviously what people perceive as valuable will obviouslyvary from person to person.

And I think if you're kind ofscrolling through Instagram and if someone maybe, ifsomebody inspires you and makes you feel fantastic, brilliant.

Keep following them.

If someone who actually mostof their posts make you feel a little bit bad about yourself,maybe a little bit guilty cause you skipped the gymthat day or whatever it may be then maybe you just needto unfollow that person.

It's not necessarily anegative reflection on them.

It's just probably not theright person for you to be following right now because,you know we always say you need to be able to disconnect youknow, because social media's great but it isn't the real world.

It's not.

It's, no matter which wayyou look at it, it's not.

- The things that you'reseeing every day are not necessarily what that personis doing every single day.

And it might not even bethat person delivering the information so the meals thatyou're seeing might not be that person's meals.

All sorts of things go onbehind the scenes which we were very slow to learn but-- - I did read something theother day actually about there was a few people who I won'tmention who actually kind of done because they were usingother people's pictures and claiming them as their ownand all of this kind of iffy stuff and I was like, wowlike people really do that? Like did they honestly thinkthey wouldn't get caught? - That's crazy.

And in terms of the trainingside of things, what I would say is that it is always gonnabe the impressive showboating stuff because ultimatelypeople want to kind of attract a following and so in a waythat's, they don't have much choice about some of thatstuff but it should be interspersed with some otherstuff that kind of shows how this is played out on a day to day basis.

So having again, taking anexercise break myself I know I kind of go through andsee all these intense highly impressive workouts but becauseI was kind of in a place of that's not for me right nowand I was really confident in my journey, I wasn't swayed by any of it.

I didn't feel bad for any ofit, but a few years ago there was a time I would be so Ikind of had to just take a step back and you know, kind ofreally think about my own journey like you kind of said, refocus back.

What are my needs at this time? Because some of us need toexercise a bit more, some of us need to exercise a bit less,some of us need to address our self-confidence, some of usneed to not be influenced so easily and develop a strongerkind of, you know relationship with our own body imageand so we're not kind of, constantly looking for thenext thing to make change.

We need to actually start tofeel a bit more at home in our body and make friends with it a bit more.

So it depends on where youare with that journey but I suppose yeah, my tips wouldbe kind of go out there and edit, maybe limit your time,think about people that you're following, how much do they-- You wanna feel energised by the information that you're offered.

- And I suppose it needsto tie in with where you're currently at so like Keris said,she's just got into yoga so she might want to look atsome people that are actually quite high level yogainstructors or yogis.

Is that what they call them? - Yeah.

- Yogis.

For a little bit of inspire,you've been thinking oh wow that's something to kind of aspire to.

But then she'd probably wannaspend more time watching people that are like oh,here's how you do your first crow or, whatever.

You know because it's actuallya little bit more valuable for where she's currently atand you know actually, I'll probably say this and then I'll finish.

Someone posted a comment onone of my exercise videos.

This was some months ago now.

And it was just a kind of,it was a normal workout, body weight workout that I'd actuallydone myself, I'd filmed it.

And I was like, guys give thisa try and someone commented and it really hit home to me.

Thank you to whoever it was,I can't remember right now.

But they said, I could never do this.

I wouldn't even know where to start.

I actually feel reallydemotivated by this.

- Oh.

- And it really got mebecause I thought oh man, like that's the last thing I want.

Like I want to inspirepeople every post that I do.

I want to kind of like, feellike that got someone off the sofa to go and workout and Ifelt terrible and I thought but you know it's right, inthat I do want to help people so therefore I need to put abit more out there that is for people that have maybenever exercised before.

Maybe are very brand new tothis and they're probably maybe just conjured up the courageto get into an exercise routine and I've potentially justkind of derailed them.

And I thought you know, I needto do more stuff to kind of help people that are new toit and give them some tips to kind of like put together aneffective circuit that's not gonna annihilate them but it'sgonna get them moving and get them sweating so whoever thatperson was, massive thank you cause it really inspired me.

- Well there you go guys.

Just a few points on staying strong.

- That's it.

- In the context of socialmedia and still knowing that you're completely awesome andeveryone else out there can be awesome too but youespecially are awesome.

You're on your journey.

You know what you're doing,you know what makes you feel good, and go out there and smash it.

- I said use it to inspire you.

You can do it.

See y'all.

- Bye.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
The Kitchen © 2013. All Rights Reserved. Powered by Blogger Shared by Themes24x7
Top